Update 1.2: Art of the Duel - Design Document & Feedback Thread

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Void, Feb 9, 2017.

1. Void

Void Dark Lord of the Sith Forum Administrator Community Member

[​IMG]
    Update 1.2: Art of the Duel
    Design Document & Feedback

The time has come to start our journey towards Advanced Lightsabers 1.2: Art of the Duel! Today, we’ve released our Design Document, which will show you our plans for the update, and allow you to have your say in its creation.

This includes everything, from new Force Powers, Lightsaber Sets and a massive overhaul of Lightsaber combat, to new NPC bosses, blocks and loot, and much, much more! This will be an ambitious project, so don't expect a ETA for release for a while.

However, while we're doing that, we want to give you the chance to offer feedback on the design document on this thread. We’re not looking for new ideas to add to this update, but instead tweak these ideas to be the best they can be. This can include balancing, quality of life tweaks or new functions to these things.

The design document is now available to view HERE on Google Docs. So please, read it and submit your feedback on this thread. Enjoy!

Void & Fisk

Scorm, EnderAxor and FiskFille like this.
  2. peterdc

peterdc New Member Community Member

well i want you to fix a bug lightning can go through blocks when there's only 1 block im getting tired of people abusing it killing me through my floor i mean come on killing me with force lightning through my floor what the heck

3. Pickles256

Pickles256 New Member Community Member

One thing I would enjoy in addition to all of this is the ability to choose lower tier force powers from the ones we unlocked. Because it consumes less force energy stuff it would be nice to do a cheaper one

4. Void

That is a bug with 1.1 and not feedback for 1.2. Please report it here: https://github.com/FiskFille/AdvancedLightsabers/issues

Noted.

5. Pickles256

6. Void

We're not taking suggestions for new content at this time. We're looking for feedback for the 1.2 design document.

7. Pickles256

Ah my bad, Is there a place to post suggestions since the old thread was closed

8. peterdc

peterdc New Member Community Member

iv reported to the link and in the documents i like the idea's keep up the great work

9. Pickles256

I would say for the "saber clashing" have it get a considerable cooldown. Maybe a minute or 30 seconds so there is still regular combat

10. LunaticLuna

LunaticLuna Member Community Member

So, do these new combat forms actually involve some kind of blocking?
    I am only asking because it mentions "parry" and I would really love to have this based more on skill than "who is clicking faster and who has the advantage"
    What I mean is, will it be possible to counter someone's attacks with the right timing to, for example, defeat someone who you are weak against?

11. FiskFille

FiskFille Fishsticks Forum Administrator Forum Moderator The Man Himself Community Member

The goal for this mod has always been to move past that spam-click type of combat. So to some extent, yes.

Void likes this.
  12. Zackalack484

Zackalack484 New Member Community Member

Personally, I think the combat style rock/paper/scissors game should be reversed. Logically, a fast opponent would easily beat a slow, strong opponent because a slower opponent wouldn't even land a hit. A medium opponent, however, has just enough speed to sort of keep up with a fast opponent, and enough damage to defeat them. But a medium opponent wouldn't have the speed to dodge a strong opponent, and trying to "brute force" your way through a stronger opponent won't go well. It's just a minor change, and it wouldn't really do much, but it would be nice. Of course, there also might be a reason for the way it is now, or I might have just read it wrong.

13. Void

Somewhat. Any mechanical changes to the combat system have a profound effect on balancing the entire game, as what we saw with Minecraft Beta's 1.9 Adventure Update, so we simply made Lightsabers a tier above Diamond. The introduction of The Force in Version 1.1 was our first big foray, with entire new sub-sections of mechanics to shift combat into an ability-focused endgame that was positively received. These proposals in 1.2 are much larger in scope as they will affect melee combat directly.

The largest of these challenges does come with the replacements for Blocking. Beta 1.9's swords parrying exposed an exploit with multiplayer combat: Latency. Minecraft's netcode is not programed exclusively for PvP combat, with both clients reporting to the server and processed in sequence: 1.9's parries disadvantage you if your ping is higher than your opponents by just even a few milliseconds. We don't want this for Advanced Lightsabers.

The quicktime events should be more stable, since the actual rapid clicking challenge will be client-side, and the parry not being processed by the server until both clients report their times. The rest of our blocking changes with Lightsaber Extensions should also not be so reliant with timing, either being defensive in nature, or disabling blocking for that weapon in exchange for an offensive advantage.

It can be very confusing, I know. I went over this three times before deciding the order. The simplest reasons are the following:

Fast Style beats Medium Style: Fast style can outpace medium's blocking and chip him down.
    Medium Style beats Heavy Style: Medium can dodge heavy's swings and then take advantage of exposed defences.
    Heavy Style beats Fast Style: Heavy can simply block fast's chips and then either strike lucky, or tires out fast and goes in for K.O.

14. EnderAxor

EnderAxor Well-Known Member Community Member

A attack for if 3,4 or 5 people attack grievous at once.

3:50
    Basically he will spin his torso in circles to attack and defend against all 3,4, or 5 of the enemies.
    Thought he should have it incase people gang up on him.
    ______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Also will Grievous have his 1G-100 MagnaGuard Bodyguards to defend him in the boss fight? If they aren't going to be then that ability of spinning can come in handy for that case. Also if there is 5 people they can make it a harder chance to beat him easily. (I think. I don't know if they would be able to bully him if there was 5 people.)

I also ask this because his body gaurds "are able to stand their own against jedi".

General Grievous has also "taught his body guards all 7 forms of lightsaber combat."

They aren't as strong as grevious, but they can be useful in a fight against multiple people.

Picture:
    [​IMG]
    ______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Not saying that you should add this. I'm just asking incase multiple people gang up on him to make the battle easier.

ChickenMaker800, FiskFille and Scorm like this.
  15. Void

Could work. Noted for consideration.

No. Grievous emerges from a 1-person escape pod: There ain't any room in there for 2 MangaGuards! Also Grievous is tough enough with 3 times as much health as the Ender Dragon on Hard, along with higher average damage across all his attacks.

EnderAxor and Scorm like this.
  16. EnderAxor

EnderAxor Well-Known Member Community Member

Who knows maybe they all cramped up into 1 pod and when it opens they explode out because of how much room ;3
    nah jk I understand its

Scorm likes this.
  17. Scorm

Scorm Member Community Member

He left home without his guards lol

18. Scorm

Scorm Member Community Member

So you said deflecting. Does that mean blaster fire, light sabers , and arrows?

Also will blaster fire come from droids?

19. FiskFille

FiskFille Fishsticks Forum Administrator Forum Moderator The Man Himself Community Member

Clown Escape-Pods?

ChickenMaker800, EnderAxor and Scorm like this.
  20. Void

Yes. Lightsabers will have deflection properties against projectiles. But no droids, unless you count Grievous. The Stormtrooper Blaster and CubeTek Carbine will both be loot from temple & tomb chests, as well as a rare drop from Grievous.

No. Just no.

EnderAxor and Scorm like this.